Friday, November 30, 2007

Chemotherapy number 5

It went fine. I did feel nauseated during the taxol part of the drip (three hours of wonderful, queasy, nausea!!). The nurse said it was probably due to the toxic accumulation from the therapy. She gave me some additional anti nausea medication, which I will gladly take.

Now I am just sitting at home, still slightly nauseated, and burping. Oh yeah - that has been another usual side effect. It is because the chemo kills the cells in the lining of the stomach and esophagus, and any other fast growing cells in the body. I have been trying to burp the alphabet - but I haven't got past "d" yet. My favorite husband lovingly (I hope!) calls me Barney from the Simpsons, because of this side effect. Thankfully, it only lasts for about five days or so.

The side effects are definitely starting sooner. I'm already super tired and nauseated (even with the medication), and I have a sore and swollen throat (again, from the cells dying). I guess that my body is getting acclimated to the steroids, because my energy level is really down now too. I doubt I will be very mobile this weekend. Oh well - its hopefully going to snow, and I can look out the window from the couch to watch it! I DO hope that it snows and snows and snows some more. I really love snow! (really? YES REALLY!) Plus it will cover the leaves remaining on our lawn... ;) Also, I like to believe that the side effects are indications that the ovarian cancer is being targeted and killed.

The nurse told me that I could donate the Amitriptyline medication to them, and that it would get used. That is good, because I didn't want it to go to waste. This was the antidepressant medication that was prescribed for the numbness and tingling (neuropathy) that I get from the chemotherapy. She did recommend that I hold on to it for now, just in case the neuropathy gets worse. She said that it HAS helped other patients. So there is still a chance that I will take it if the symptoms get worse. I hope they don't. I really don't want to take medicine that will also affect my mental state. So far those symptoms haven't gotten worse!

Have a great weekend! Say a prayer for me if you get a chance! More importantly, say a prayer for my favorite husband, who has to put up with me for the next four or five days. ;)

No comments: