Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Life and loss

There is a funeral I am going to tomorrow. I mentioned my friend in an early post in September. She was a breast cancer survivor who graciously loaned me her box of turbans and headwraps when she found out I was going through all of this. She passed away - thankfully NOT of cancer (I'm sure she would agree with that statement. It did not beat her in the end!) but due to medical complications from something else.

I remember when she went through her chemo treatments. I didn't see her often, but she looked so good, and was always smiling when I did see her. She rocked those turbans- and the pink ones really lit her up. I thought she never had looked more beautiful. Little did I know at the time, that her experience would be one that strongly influenced my outlook when I found out my diagnosis.

When I found out about my cancer it was after she had beat hers, and had all of her hair back. I thought "Beverly went through this so well, and is doing so well now - I certainly can beat it too!". I even talked to her about it . She told me how losing her hair was the hardest thing for her, and how she cried as she threw the garbage out the day it fell out. Her openness with her experiences through chemo helped prepare me for my treatment- more than any website ever could. For me, she was the face of experience, bravery and strength.

I will miss her, her smile, and her infectious laugh.

No comments: