Saturday, November 8, 2008

One down...

Well, the treatment wasn't too bad. It took a very long time (3.5 hours for infusion and 2 hours of 'rolling around' after to swish it through the abdomen), and was a bit uncomfortable (two liters pumped into the abdomen- super bloat!).

I started feeling a bit "flu-like" last night, and have that awful metal taste in my mouth which is a typical side effect :( My favorite husband bought me some life-savers candy, and that helps when the taste gets bad. He also bought lemons for me to squeeze into my water, and anti-bacterial soap for keeping germs away. He remembered a lot from last year! I do feel better today, and I hope I am on the downswing from the effects.

This will be a weekly treatment - so I go back in next Friday (we switched the day) for my next one.

My CT scan was ok. The doctor said all of the cancer on the previous scan was removed, but there was a small spot noted on this new scan. She believes it is the remnants of a 'clotting' medication or something that she put in during surgery - but said we would keep our eyes on it.

The good news is that they were able to harvest enough cancer cells from my tumor, to start the vaccine (I knew I had plenty of cancer cells!). She thinks it will be ready in four weeks or so. She anticipates my last IP Taxotere treatment to be the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm hoping to feel well enough to go back into work on Monday. I should be ok, as long as these side effects continue to fade.

Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome about the vaccine. I wanted to get into that study but they didn't think I had cancer and didn't have me sign the consent prior to surgery. I keep myself from getting angry by assuming I probably didn't have enough cells anyway.

Lemon in the water? Does that work?? I feel like I've been getting dehydrated because I'm not drinking enough water... it tastes so bad.

test said...

hey!! you are so brave [actually I quite like that word awesome too!]- I always wait for your next blog, just to see what's happened now. Go girl, go! This vaccine scenario fascinates me - you are like one of those people who went to the moon! A step for [wo]mankind etc - I can't find a lot about it on the www. Can you explain a bit more once you feel better?

by the way, I found the best thing for that hideous chemo mouth was orange flavoured ice lollies - worked a treat! Now I can't look at one...

hope you feel better every day
Sx

test said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hey Nat---Im so happy that your operation went so smoothly and Im excited about your vaccine. Having to swish the drugs around your abdomen sounds fairly awful though, and Im sorry that you have to endure it until your vaccine is ready.
You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Hang in there, lady.

yea Obama!
susan

Kia Taylor said...

Nat!

I'm so happy things are going well..I can't believe you're talking about going back to work already...you're awesome, so inspiring...sending you many blessings!

xoxo

kia

Joellyn said...

Nat, I was THRILLED about the election, too. Something about believing in the improbable and having it actually happen spreads the hope and makes everything else seem possible. I'm glad that you have fared so well so far with this second round of treatment. I'm very interested in this new treatment with a vaccine being made from your cancer cells. Thinking of you and inspired by your strength!