Thursday, October 9, 2008

....and it keeps getting better!

I am likely a good candidate for the ovarian cancer vaccine trial. My next appointment is Monday, October 20, and my de-bulking abdominal surgery is Tuesday, October 21. I will receive inter-peritoneal (IP) chemotherapy (taxotere) once every three weeks, after I heal. If they are able to formulate a vaccine (this takes a couple of months), and if I am deemed qualified (they won't determine that, until they are sure they can formulate the vaccine) it will be administered weekly with a low level chemotherapy drug (cyclophosphamide). There are a lot of variables here that may exclude me from the study - but at a bare minimum, they are removing my current visible ovarian cancer and treating me with an IP chemotherapy.

I had to type it out, because I still don't believe it.

I still don't believe it.

I can't believe that I am excited to have more surgery and more chemotherapy. But I am.

I know that the prayers, good thoughts and healing light sent my way had something to do with this.

Thank you!

8 comments:

Joellyn said...

I am so excited for you, Nat! And, I know exactly what you mean about looking forward to what most people would dread. I look forward to hearing more about the vaccine process. Maybe I'll try to research it online as I don't know that I'm familiar with that study.
Peace and Joy, Joellyn

test said...

whaaaa! great - it does seem very odd to look forward to surgery, but I was the same with mine. Couldn't wait for them to 'sort me out' - you must be so relieved. I am so pleased for you - every day seems to be one more positive step - whoo hoo! I am waiting for the blog that says you're IN the trial now...off to see what it all means somewhere on the www.
thinking of you!
x
PS: my mum also sends her love to you - she reads the blog all the time.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic news. I am familiar with the study, it looks VERY promising. I wanted to get in it myself but I didn't have enough tumor I don't think. The study is being conducted at the hospital I'm now residing in.

I'm just so glad they are going to operate and that you are finally getting the best care possible.

Best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Words cannot describe the joy I feel right now. Good things, my dear friend. I'll give you a call this weekend.

Love much,
JKE

Jamie said...

Wow Nat! I hadn't checked up on you in a week or so because I knew you were taking a break from cancer. ;o) I am SO happy for you!!!! I will be praying that this is the answer you need to get rid of this once and for all! Thanks for the post on my blog as well!

Keep us posted for sure!!! I can't wait to hear more good news!

Jamie

Me said...

Oh wonderful wonderful! I'm SO happy for you nat! Lets keep the good news coming!

koneill1976 said...

I am so excited for you! My thoughts will be with you on Oct. 21. Change subject. I went on a bizarre home visit and the house had walls caving in (it was a trailor), the had no bathroom inside, no plumbing, lived out of a cooler with ice and to top it off there was a REAL deer head chopped off in a bucket on the kitchen counter! The woman is in her 80's and refuses to leave. :( thought that would get your mind off things for a sec.

test said...

Nat!! Nearly there now, I hope you're feeling good about everything still. I can't wait for your next post to see how it went. And can you join silly Facebook so we can chat a bit more? Click on the facebook thing on my blog, it'll take you there. BEST BEST of luck for the surgery. I am doing the GOOD VIBES via the airwaves thing to you.

keep us posted!
Sx
PS: big hug to your favourite husband too! ;o)