Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back from Hawaii and chemo #3

Yes, sadly we are back from Hawaii. We just got back on Tuesday, and today I had my third Doxil treatment.

Hawaii was beautiful! We did a lot of great stuff. We went zip-lining, parasailing, and my niece and I went horseback riding. In addition, we saw a lot of beautiful scenery and spent some time on the beautiful beaches as well (in the shade for me :) ) We did a sunset dinner cruise too. There were 10 family members including us, traveling together. We did some things together, and many things apart, and I think everyone enjoyed the trip! Also, we all got along very well, which is rare when traveling with that many people.

Unfortunately, my husbands maternal aunt passed away the day before we came home. She had thyroid cancer, and was at home under hospice care. She knew she did not want heroic treatment, and spent her last two months basking in the love of her family and friends. She will be very much missed by those of us who loved her. She was full of joy and life, and it helps to know that she has to be in a better place now. It was really difficult though for my MIL and my husband, who loved her dearly.

Also while on vacation, a blog friend lost her mother to ovarian cancer. Her moms story and mine are so similar. She had just finished the regular treatment of Carboplatin and Taxol -had a CT scan, and they found a recurrence. Her 50 year old mom passed away last week from it. It was so sudden and unexpected - it shocked me. Please keep Jamie and her family in your thoughts and prayers. This is a really difficult and painful time for them.

I had my third Doxil treatment today. While in Hawaii, I had no pain or problems, except that my feet swelled up like balloons during the whole trip! Now those who know me will probably say that my feet are my best feature. They aren't anymore... ;) I am just glad that I did not have any pain. It only held us back, in that we didn't hike as much as we normally would on vacation.

My doc said that I should get some support hose. Sheesh. Support hose? Aren't those for 80+ year olds? I can see wearing them in the winter, but it is summertime-how do you wear support hose with sandals? I guess I just need to suck it up, and do what is best for me :(

I am really trying to follow all directions for this treatment, because I don't want the foot pain that debilitated me last time. Also, I have to do a lot of traveling next week for work (possibly Arkansas and Denver). So I will spend my weekend on the couch, with my feet on ice, in order to hopefully minimize any side effects.

I'll post some Hawaii pictures a little later this weekend. Have a great fourth everyone!

3 comments:

test said...

eek! Your poor feet. I am having the swelling feet too [and hands - have to wear my wedding ring round my neck] - keep my feet up as much as possible, and trying to avoid the dreaded white hose! look like a demented Alice in Wonderland with them on.

Pics are fab!

You are looking very chic - lovin' that hair and can't wait for mine to grow back again. Yippee! Oh the small things eh?

Gerry said...

Hi Natalie - I just had to look at your pictures of Hawaii again..........sigh.........Ernie and I never made it to Kauai.....So, tell me, was Kauai your favorite or Maui? The waterfall picture sure made me think of when Ernie and I took the Road to Hana.............beautiful. I love the pictures of you and your favorite husband:)
Take care, God bless.

Anonymous said...

You and Tim look great, the pictures are great, God bless