Wednesday, July 16, 2008

One year

Today marks one year since my surgery (hysterectomy, omenectomy). One year since ovarian cancer, unwelcome though it was, became a part of my everyday life.

The year has been punctuated with chemotherapy induced illness - days spent on the couch struggling to just get to the shower, larger aches than I ever believed possible, and a loss of dignity and pride during multiple procedures and doctors visits. It has also been punctuated with sadness (the deaths of some very special people). There have also been great joys (time with friends and family, wonderful vacations and weekend trips), and I learned that people are much more understanding and thoughtful than I had believed possible. Of course, there are always jerks too... ;) It seems that much more than only one year has passed.

I hope for so much in this next year.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

I hope this year is filled with joy for you. You are such a strong woman and I pray that the Lord would bring you healing. I am amazed at how well you are doing and you have been such a great help to me. Thanks for being a friend during a very difficult time. stay strong!

Me said...

I agree with Jamie......You are amazing to me Nat. Prayers, hugs sent your way.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this year will bring only more healing. Stay strong.

ps... I'm back.

Gerry said...

My dear Natalie.........I did read this post last week, but we had company, and I didn't have a chance to respond. Wow! Last week was one year since you got the news about ovarian cancer:(

You have been such a strong woman, and I know your blog is having a positive effect on the readers that go to it:) That's the thing about life, the oh such good times, and then the not so good times. However, like you stated the wonderful vacations, weekend trips, time with friends & family.....yes, people can be, and should be especially in our society today more understanding & thoughtful. Those jerks you mentioned? - That's just what they are, and nothing will change them, unfortunately. I'm sure it seems like much more than only one year has passed.

I hope for so much for you this year, my dear sweet, Natalie.