Saturday, April 19, 2008

What - no side effects?

I am feeling just great! I keep waiting for the 'other shoe to drop' and for some terrible side effect to blindside me. I have no nausea, no real pain, a slight sore throat (likely from the chemotherapy killing quickly dividing cells), no tiredness, etc.

My complaint is that I am supposed to not walk too much, or do repetitive things with my hands (type, sweep, rake, rub anything, etc.) in order to prevent a common side effect of this drug which is hand-foot syndrome. I'm not supposed to grasp things or apply pressure to the palms and soles of my feet. The Doxil can cause a painful red rash and blisters on the palms of the hands, and soles of the feet. I am icing my hands and feet periodically over the next few days to try to prevent this effect. In addition, I am supposed to watch my sun exposure to prevent other rashes. This drug seems to be a skin affecting one. So I feel wonderful - but can't do much! ;)

If anyone can think of activities or things I can do that don't use the hands or feet much - please leave a comment! I must be omitting some obvious activities. I am only going to follow this regimen for another day (through Sunday) for now. Compared with my last chemotherapy, this is a breeze and I am not complaining. Now I just hope that it is killing my ovarian cancer swiftly, and completely - or at least shrinking it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I'm so glad you aren't even tired. Bummer about the hands and feet though. The only thing I can think of is to watch lots of movies....

nat said...

Yeah - I will have to make sure I'm prepared with movies and books next time...
After I posted this, I ended up sleeping on the couch most of the day - so I guess I am a little tired ;) Certainly not fatigued or exhausted though.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure there are some activities you and your favorite husband can do that wouldn't require ANY pressure on your hands or feet....wink, wink....very glad you are feeling good! Especially after your cubbies won this weekend (don't tell Betty I said that)!!!

Love Ya!!
JKE

Anonymous said...

What she said ;) I was thinking NetFlix, too. Rent Dexter. You'd love it!

Anonymous said...

Nat, Baker here--"Stoner'87" just a quick note--Strangest thing--I sent Conner an e-mail about getting the CA-125 screening test and she emailed me your blog today. I have read it in its entirety. Wow! Be strong sister! fight, fight, fight! will be in touch soon. by the way---
CUTE BOY!