Friday, April 11, 2008

Call from the Doctor

My gynecologic oncologist called me on her first day back from vacation! Wow - what service and dedication. I am impressed. (did I mention how glad I am that I switched docs? :) )

She said that, although she had not reviewed the slides herself yet, cancerous cells were found in the needle biopsy. No big surprise there - it was expected. She didn't say what type were found, but based on the treatment she is suggesting, I believe it is ovarian cancer. Again - no big surprise there!

She wants me to start on Doxil as my next line of chemotherapy, starting next Thursday. It is not set in stone yet, as her office needs to call me to finalize everything. However, this ball is now rolling - and I look forward to having an active treatment regimen going.

I again asked her about surgery, and she again said that it is not recommended at this time. I just hate that I can feel the tumor - or at least feel the things it is pushing out of its way. I wish it were gone. I hope that Doxil shrinks it and the other small growths in my abdomen, down to nothing.

I've been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster since I talked to her - I won't lie about that! Alternately feeling happy that I will be having treatment, and terrified of the treatment and side effects. The good news is that this chemo is reportedly not as energy-sapping as the previous type I was on. I am trying not to worry about the side effects until I know what they will be for me - but it is hard not to. One day at a time, right?

I'll update again when this is all finalized.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Answers are good. One day at a time is the best way... and when one day is too much, take twenty minutes at a time.

Hang in there, know that I'm thinking about you and sending all my good vibes your way.

Anonymous said...

Who can blame you for being on an emotional roller coaster my dear, sweet Natalie? I'm glad to read that the new chemo won't be as energy-sapping as the previous type you were on. I agree with Sam........"take twenty minutes at a time."
I pray for you each day........that is a given.
Take care, God bless.
Gerry