Thursday, April 17, 2008

I survived!

I survived my first treatment of Doxil for ovarian cancer. It is good that I didn't have initial side effects or reactions to the drug. I am still a little bit loopy from the steroids that they give to counteract side effects, but I don't take as many as I did on my previous regimen.

The first session at my new provider was a good experience. The best news is that my gynecological oncologist sees me prior to EVERY chemo session for a check up. I can bring all my questions and concerns to her, and she is so helpful, and really takes time with me and my favorite husband. She really is a gem. Then they draw lab work, and put me in a chemo room - which is just a doctors office with two chemo chairs and a TV. The amenities are not as nice as my previous chemo -(the TV only gets two fuzzy channels) but who needs amenities! :) My new drug will only take an hour to infuse, as opposed to the five hours for my previous chemo regimen. So from start to finish, it should take about 3 - 31/2 hours. I'll bring my laptop next time or something.

Before my next treatment, I need a MUGA scan. It is a scan of the heart. Don't worry- I'm not having problems!! They just need a baseline because Doxil can be really toxic and damaging to the hearts of some patients (cardiotoxic). I believe mine is strong, and will tolerate the treatment well. Also, it is a new test that I have not yet had so I am strangely looking forward to it. I am collecting medical tests and procedures by the way... I think I have all my friends and family beat right now. :) I certainly have them beat for the most procedures in the least amount of time. Nyah nyah nyah!

Now I just have to wait a few days to determine if any side effects will hit. Regardless of side effects, I have to stay out of the sun, and as always - stay away from sick people and crowded places. So if you are sick, please don't breathe on me ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad it went well. Seeing the gyn onc every time you have chemo is so helpful! Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.