Monday, April 7, 2008

CT guided needle biopsy

The biopsy went well. It was truly an interesting procedure. Unfortunately, it was not painless. They didn't knock me out. The nurse said that she gave me an 'anti anxiety' drug and a strong pain killer. I asked her if I looked anxious ;) she said no. Most of the procedure was painless - however, there was a point where I really felt the needle deep inside of me. I asked the doctor later, where the needle was during the time of pain. He thought it was when he was breaching the wall of the tumor. It felt exactly what you would expect an eight inch needle inside you to feel like. Luckily, it was short lived pain.

He did have to repeat the procedure when they found he hadn't collected enough cells the first time. Ouch again! Good thing I'm tough. I remember the whole thing, but it was not traumatic.

Then back up to my room where they observed me for a couple of hours, gave me lunch (the less said about lunch the better!), and then I got to go home! They should have the results in about a week or so. I'll call my doc (who is on vacation this week) and hopefully set up an appointment for next week. Her medical resident and her medical partner stopped in to see me - that was unexpected and appreciated! Once the results are in we can determine which line of chemo to start next.

I had a whole parade of people there too. My favorite husband, my mom and dad, and my medical student. I sure felt important ;)

I'm glad that part is done, and now look forward to a treatment regimen. Look out ovarian cancer - I think this hospital and team may just have your number!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Sound like you found a great group to work with now!! I'm so glad!! I can feel for that Med student, my husband was one not too long ago. He is now a resident, and only has one year left of that, thank God! But, I totally know how scared that student is...go easy on him. ;o)

I'm glad to see your spirits are up and you are ready to beat this thing. My mom is doing well, and has just completed her 5th round. Radiation is all done, thankfully. That was a little rough.

We just got back from vacation, and I just wanted to see how you were doing. I will be updating my blog soon. Take care!!!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie - I am so glad the needle biopsy is over, and sorry to hear it was painful:(:( and PTL you're a tough gal. I shall continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. May God grant you His favor, dear one.
Love,
Gerry

Anonymous said...

Stupid needles...

JKE

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling it would hurt like hell. I had a needle core MRI guided breast biopsy once. It was the worst medical procedure I ever experienced. I'm glad your test is over with and you are getting ready for your treatment. Hopefully they will give you some good stuff that will let you keep your hair. You and your doctors are going to kick cancer's ass.