Sunday, July 18, 2010

and another anniversary!

I realized late Saturday, that it has been three years since my hysterectomy, and subsequent Ovarian Cancer diagnosis. I honestly didn't think I'd make it this far when I was first diagnosed and two lines of chemotherapy (taxol/carboplatin and doxil) had no impact on my cancer. I imagined if I made it three years, I would be debilitated - as I see in other long term recurrent ovarian cancer survivors. But here I am - alive and thriving, and I wonder why. However, it is now an introspective 'why', and not a guilty one. The comments on my last post really helped me with the guilt. Especially Sams comment that my guilt will not do a thing for those other ovarian cancer patients-and she's right. It won't. What I can do for them and for myself, is to continue to live and enjoy my life, and every day that I have here on earth with my family and friends. That means no worrying about the future. The future will take care of itself.

I got to take my niece (my FH's oldest sisters' oldest daughter) skydiving! It was her request. She actually told me she wanted to do it when she was 16 (you have to be 18). She still remembered, and wanted to do it, and I was more than happy to join in on the fun. We couldn't sucker anyone else into going with us, but that was fine. I enjoyed this third skydive even more - it just keeps getting better! She really loved it too - so maybe a fourth dive is ahead!



Talk about not worrying about the future! ;) I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face the whole day! It was a great way to celebrate three years of survival.



Nothing else is new, except one sad note... I recently lost a facebook friend to ovarian cancer. You can see Sandhy's post about Diane on http://sandhysown.blogspot.com. I could not have honored Diane better than Sandhy did, so I'm not even going to try.

You probably won't hear from me until October when my next scan is due. But who knows? ;)

6 comments:

l'optimiste said...

OMG!! that photo of you going out of the plane made my hair stand on it's ends!! I look forward to future pics of you leaping out of things...eek!

Way to go babe - so happy you feel better.
x

Dee said...

Nat
WOW! I must have missed this when you first posted it.
What an unbelievable way to celebrate 3 years!
You go Girl!

Maggie said...

Nat, such a wonderful post. I am so very, very happy for you. Three years and THRIVING!!! You are right, you need to keep living and living as loud and strong as you can - that is the greatest gift you can give to all of us!
Skydiving? You've given me an idea and a goal!
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Sweet web site, I had not noticed what-meworry.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the good work!

Anonymous said...

I always inspired by you, your opinion and way of thinking, again, thanks for this nice post.

- Norman

koneill1976 said...

Your post reminded me that my three years of my original ovarian diagnosis is November 13th. Have I known you that long? My thoughts are with you and everyone else living our lives.