Wednesday, December 24, 2008

First cold

Well, I am nearly over my first (regular) illness in at least three or four years. Yes, I caught a cold. I am so glad that I have it now, since my strength is improving - rather than while I was recuperating from chemo. I have no voice, and have a terrible cough, but I feel fine. I only sound like I have the plague! ;)

I am finally starting to feel normal again after the IP Taxotere chemotherapy. Whew - that regimen really tired me out. We didn't do any decorating for Christmas, and our shopping was thankfully limited this year (everyone is scaling back because of the economy), so I was able to avoid a lot of holiday stress. It is nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and to feel some of my energy coming back.

My parents have the most wonderful friends. We were provided with tickets to the Bears/Packers game at Soldier Field on Monday night. It was 7 degrees at kickoff - with a wind chill of -12. However, we bundled up in layers and barely felt the cold. I stayed outside for the entire first half! Most importantly, the Bears won - so it was a great time! Yes - I have a cold, but I wasn't about to miss a Bears game! You can see part of my favorite husbands scar from his car accident in this photo...



And here was our view of the field



Now on to medical news - my vaccine is apparently done! I made an appointment with my doc for Monday the 29th. I have to go through some anergic testing. That means I have to react to delayed type hypersensitivity testing (DTH) to things like tetanus. I guess they need to make sure my immune system isn't compromised. So I still have some hoops to jump through - but the most important part is done!

For more info on this ovarian cancer clinical trial go to:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00660101?spons=%22AVAX+Technologies%22&spons_ex=Y&rank=1

The funny thing about being the first person in a clinical trial - no one seems to know what is going on! The research people aren't sure, the doctor isn't sure, everyone has to keep refering back to the protocol. I think that I am going to have to take matters into my own hands, and make sure that I am on schedule with everything required for this (as far as testing and timing) - so that I don't blow this opportunity! I know that they have a lot of other things and other trials that they are doing, so it doesn't upset me that I am not the center of their universe :) I just need to remember that I am my own best health advocate. I'll let you know more next week!

I wish you all the most joyous (and healthy!) of holidays!

4 comments:

Joellyn said...

Nat, I read with interest your link on the vaccine---there was some medical jargon I did not understand but I think I get the gist. I am praying that this vaccine is going to work and annihilate those cancer cells still lurking. Have a great holiday and I'm glad you are getting your energy back!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better from the chemo and my fingers are crossed for the vaccine!

I think that cancer survivors should be exempt from getting colds... ever. Stay warm!

Good wishes coming your way!

test said...

7 degrees at kickoff - with a wind chill of -12???? No wonder you have a cold woman!! Ah, you are so great - brave girl, and the FH is looking ok thank goodness - scars add to the mystique? :o) [by the way, FH, behave yourself..car crashes?? no no!]

good luck with the trial - I know you are going to WIN here. You have a great heart - happy new year Nat!
xxx

Shopping Kharma said...

Wow! What an awesome experience. My husband is bummed that the Packer's lost but hey they never made it to the Play Off's. My husband and I went to a Packer's game at Lambeau where is was barely 3 degrees at kick off.

I'm so glad you are feeling much better and you sound so uplifting and positive! Here's to an excellent New Year and a cure!

I just nominated your blog for a "Lemonade Award".

http://shoppingkharma.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-first-ever-lemonade-award.html