Friday, December 12, 2008

CT scan results

The scan showed several 'nodules' some of which may have been scar tissue, some which were cancer. Also, my CA125 results (which had been steadily going down during the Taxotere treatment) increased this time - from 69 to 101. The CA125 is a tumor marker test that hasn't been really accurate for me. But usually it is lower (it was in the normal range of 29-35 when I had active tumor growth) - so the fact that it is increasing now is somewhat troubling.

These results didn't really surprise or upset me. I think that they took my favorite husband by surprise though. He seemed shaken by the news.

There is also some fluid around my liver, and near my lung. She thinks that this is chemo fluid that hasn't been fully absorbed yet. I have noticed being a little short of breath, and being 'bloated' for no apparent reason. The fluid may explain this.

She said that the vaccine is almost ready! She thinks that maybe next week, we will be able to start all of the preliminary stuff. I have to have a number of skin tests, to ensure that my immune system will respond, before we can start the trial vaccine. They can't start the skin tests until they are sure the vaccine is ready. My doctor estimates we should be on the vaccine by Christmas or soon after.

My thinking is - it is a good thing some measurable cancer is present. Otherwise, how would we be able to tell if the vaccine is working or not?

The doctor wants to leave my interperitoneal (IP) port in. The IP Taxotere did cause my CA125 to drop for a while, so we may go back to that chemo if the vaccine does not work. I hated that chemo - I hope not to go back on it!

I am just glad that I am off of chemo for a while. I need to get my Christmas shopping done this weekend, and continue to get my energy back.

As always, I will update when I know more! Good luck everyone - with your Christmas or holiday shopping. I'm hoping to get mine all done this weekend (keep your fingers crossed :) )

7 comments:

test said...

Hi Nat - keep that positive head on, you're going to win. Roll on the vaccine - it will work. The port & tubing sounds horrid, but you sound great and really positive. You should be a drug - we could rule the world!

Good luck Christmas shopping - I am in chaos! Haven't done a thing...oops
x

Me said...

I'm sending you e-HUGS

samantha said...

It could be that your CA125s are elevated because of the fluid which may be chemo. My CA125s went really high after my surgery just because I was swollen.

Sending you big hugs!

Kia Taylor said...

I knew there was a reason we clicked...your spirit is so great, I can feel it miles away!! Enjoy your time off chemo and get your strength back, you'll be ready for that vaccine amd even more ready to continue kicking cancer's butt!!

xoxo

P.S. I love stcoking stuffer's:)

Maggie said...

Now I am visiting your blog! It seems we were diagnosed within days (12) of eachother last year and we look of a similar age (I'm 44). Doesn't this disease just suck? Your advice about feet was well timed, they are just starting to hurt. I wouldn't mind more communication - magmurfatyahoodotcom. Send me a line. I'll keep checking on your blog.
Maggie

Joellyn said...

Nat, I want you to know I'm thinking of you and I'm so glad that you are getting a break from chemo for a week or two. I'm very excited about your vaccine and can't wait to hear your reports! I just know this is going to work for you. Hugs. Joellyn

Gerry said...

Hi Natalie - Sorry I haven't responded lately. I do so hope the CA125 results have changed for the better since you last wrote in your blog. I do see you have inspired so many people, made them more aware of what to look for:( The results didn't really surprise you....you probably know more about this stuff than some of the medical profession by now....now doctors & nurses, don't get upset:)
I do so hope they were able to do something about the fluid around your liver, near your lung, being short of breath, bloated:(:(

I sure hope they have the vaccine ready for you by Christmas - that would be quite the Christmas present!

There you go with that positive thinking, Natalie - and we're all in your corner, dear one. I hope you don't have to go back on the chemo:(

I'm glad you were off the chemo for a while, and I'm sure trying to Christmas shop really drains one's energy.

I hope you were able to get caught up with your Christmas shopping. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to you and your favorite husband:)
Take care, God bless.
Gerry