Saturday, August 30, 2008

Doctor appointment

I had an appointment with my gyne/onc on Thursday, to discuss the CT scan I had the week before. She said that the main tumors have not changed much (grew a little), and also that the cancer has spread - there was more on my omentum (the remnant that was left) and its now likely seeded throughout my intestines. She could not see the tumors, because they only show up if they are larger than a centimeter in size. But the thickening she saw on the CT indicated to her, that was the most likely explanation. No more Doxil for me, which is both good and bad. No more sore swollen feet and tongue blisters (I can not tell you how much those hurt!!), but Doxil was also surprisingly easy, and I felt human during the treatment. Of course, it didn't work - so I won't be abusing my body with that particular poison anymore.

The doc recommended Cisplatin and Gemcitabine, with avastin if my insurance would approve it. However, my favorite husband and I had been researching a clinical trial that may fit my circumstances. We told her about it, and she agreed. "Do it." she said. Other doctors would not want you to leave their care, or would want you only participating in studies in their hospitals. I love this doc, and will continue to seek her advice as I go along.

So on my checklist of things to do:
1. I can switch from my HMO to a PPO as of October 1. This will allow me to do the study, without having all the referral paperwork (if the referrals would even be approved). Since they can take a month for approval, it will be worth the extra cost to us financially. Also, I will be able to go anywhere for treatment or consultations, which may be beneficial in the future.

2. Call the facility, and set up an appointment to see if I will be a candidate. The study will involve another operation to remove what tumors they can (de-bulk me again), interperitoneal chemotherapy (IP) with taxol (they 'wash' your abdominal cavity with the chemotherapy drug), then they create a vaccine with the tumor cells from your own body, and treat you with that vaccine. Since I seem to be immune to the traditional chemotherapy, I hope that this treatment will be what I have been looking for! I hope I get accepted. I hope that my ovarian cancer stops smearing itself around my abdomen, and melts away.

I have to remember to breathe. I have to quit trying to look ahead, and plan or predict the future.

On a brighter note - our bamboo floors are in! They look so good! I wish we had them throughout the whole house now! We are buying a new bedroom set too. Of course all of the other furniture looks awful to us now, with the new floors :) If only we could afford all new furniture! My favorite husband will have to start doing better in his poker tournaments...

Breathe.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

breathe.


I am so sorry to hear this news. The good news is that doctor sounds amazing! I've heard good things about the interperitoneal chemo.

You're in my thoughts constantly. Keep us posted.

Kia Taylor said...

I love your energy and spirit. The word "breathe" sums it all up for me. I am on this journey with you, diagnosed last October. I've started my blog up again...making it my mission to spread awareness of this horrible disease. Sending you many prayers and healthy vibes.

Me said...

Nat-
I read your post......and I actually spoke aloud.....my heart sank. I'm so sorry for the shitty news.
I hope you get approved to participate. I'm sending e-hugs.....

Joellyn said...

Nat,

I'm in there sending you all kinds of well wishes and support. I sincerely hope you get in the trial and think you would be a good candidate. Good Luck!

Joellyn

Jamie said...

Nat -

I'm sorry to hear your appt was not what you were expecting or hoping for I'm sure. I am so glad that you have the opportunity to seek other treatments though. My mom did not have that chance, it was too late. Go for it, I have heard they are making great advances in those speacial trials and I am hoping and praying for a great outcome for you!! Keep your eyes on God, He will see you through.

Jamie

Decor To Adore said...

Hello,
I found your blog through Kia. Please stop by mine when you have a moment. I am currently running a post hoping to create more awareness.

Many blessings to you,
Laura

koneill1976 said...

Hey woman, sorry I am not being a good contact person. I could not get on my blog b/c I forgot my password and then procrastinated. I think of you all the time and am hoping you are keeping your spirits up. You helped me feel so much better about my situations on my bad days and I feel guilty not being there for you. You are in my thoughts always and when I do my speeches at OU about my cancer/chemo experience I also talk of you and your spirit which is beyond amazing. I only wish to have half the courage that you have. I wish you well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie - I read your latest notes on your blog a while back....but time seems to get away from a person so fast. I do so hope you'll be able to get on that clinical trial, and that your insurance and doctors will go along with the latest. I am so sorry that Doxil didn't work.
Take care, God bless. You are in my thoughts & prayers.
Gerry

Kia Taylor said...

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I hope you're doing well...this is a tough road we're on, but we can do it...

test said...

Hi Nat! I am thinking of you all the time - I HOPE and pray you get into the trial and everything with the insurance people works out. You are so positive, they will be lucky to have you. Best best luck to you and to your favourite husband too.
Sx