Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Living with cancer

The title says it all. The gynecologic oncologist said that from here on out, I will likely have cancer. The PET scan showed three areas -near my liver, on my colon, and in my upper abdomen. Those little cells sure get around! There was also a suspicious area in my neck (the scan said it could be the thyroid, or vascular). She was not convinced that was cancer.

She said the chemotherapy that I was previously on, did not seem to do a thing to stop or slow the cancer. I am platinum resistant (became immune to the effects), or refractory (never had any effect). What a waste! I hate that I was poisoning my body for no reason.

She said that we can fight it with chemo - all different types of chemo - to hopefully keep it from growing, and possibly shrink it. I would stay on one type of chemo until the cancer decides to ignore it, and then try another. But the implication is that chemotherapy will be my life.

She wants to biopsy (needle biopsy) the mass near my liver, I guess to ensure that it is ovarian cancer, and not a cancer of some other name. I will be switching my insurance to her hospital, where any future chemotherapy I get will be under her direct supervision. I only hope that my insurance company will understand and not be slow to act in changing my coverage.

So, that is where everything stands as far as the game plan. I hope that one of the chemotherapies is especially effective, and knocks this back for a while.

Tonight I am making chili for my company's 'chili contest' that they hold every year. That is more important than worrying about the future -right? ;) In fact, I need to change that title up there to " LIVING with cancer " (because "cooking with cancer" just doesn't sound quite right... ;) )

8 comments:

Me said...

Oh my land....I have tried to type several things for some reason whatever I type just doesn't do justice.......I don't even know you but reading this....I had tears well up in eyes. HUGS--BIG HUGE E-HUGS sent your way.

Barge Lady Cruises Travel Blog said...

LOVE U NAT! Thinking about you all the time! Good luck~hopefully your insurance company will cooperate!

Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie,
We are praying for you, In fact, there are a bunch of people praying for you. A pastor from a church I don't even go to called me today about you. ( I know - small world :-) )

I also called some people in FL and they are praying too. God is faithful and if you lean on Him He will get you through. I don't know how ANYONE makes it without Him. (especially me :-) )
So remember in sickness in health in life and in death it's all about our hearts toward God and His plan. He loves you so much Natalie. Love, Janie

Anonymous said...

Nat- we love you and are praying hard. you are fabulous and strong and we are so sorry you have to deal with this! if you need us we're here for anything, anytime.

love, Darcy and Tom

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I'll be thinking about you.

The good news is that it sounds like your doctor is really great. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie - I am so sorry to hear the news. I know you were so glad to be done with the chemo, and now you'll have to go back on it. I too, hope the insurance company cooperates. Good luck with the needle biopsy. The faith of a mustard seed comes to my mind.....so very tiny......if we had that faith, we could move a mountain, and in this case get that doggone cancer out of your body. Many people are offering up prayers for you and your family, Nat. May God strengthen you as you go through this. God bless.
Gerry

Jamie said...

Hey Nat! I just have to say that you are such an encouragment to me. Here you are still dealing with this cancer and yet, you sound so positive in your post. You have been such a help to me in dealing with my mom's cancer and I appreciate that more than you know. I will continue to pray for you and your husband as you have some decisions to make and as you take this one day at a time, just as my family is. I pray that both you and my mom will come through this with flying colors!!!! I'm sorry that you are having to continue on this journey with cancer. I can tell you are such a strong woman and I don't even know you. I sure hope that we get to meet someday. Stay positive and stay strong. I'm thinking of you often.

Jamie (I see there is another Jamie as well! That's funny!)

koneill1976 said...

I like cooking with cancer, it has that certain zing to it. I am scared of radiation too. But my friend told me to get gold bond lotion and slather myself with it after treatment and that will keep you skin from peeling away. But hopefully we can just keep that tip in our pocket and never pull it out. If you need me for anything, my #is 740-475-9779. I don't know if that was smart posting my #, but I want to help you any way I can. I will even drive to you if my tests come back positive. You are strong. Talk soon....k