Thursday, March 20, 2008

Needles

Tomorrow I go to have my port flushed at my oncologists office. When you have a port, it has to be flushed every three months in order to ensure it is functional, and that it does not become clogged. I will also be telling the staff and my oncologist that I am changing medical groups. I am sorry to be leaving such a kind staff, but I am not sorry to leave that medical group! However, I hope that I am not going to just run into the same problems at the new medical group. We shall see.

Also, I got a call today that they are STILL waiting for the insurance approval for the CT guided needle biopsy of my liver. However, we did set up an appointment for it, for next Thursday. If they won't let me have it done at the university, I'll just wait until April 1 when the new medical group kicks in. I mean, I've waited this long already, whats another week or so? It sounds interesting. I'll be under twilight sedation, and they will insert a needle into me. They will keep putting me in and out of the CT scanner, to make sure that the needle is going the right way. They said it takes about an hour, and that they keep you there for about four hours afterward to make sure nothing important got punctured, except for what they wanted to puncture. ;)

The biopsy will tell us if the suspected cancer on or near my liver is still ovarian cancer, or if it is some other type. That will determine what type of chemotherapy I will get. Doxil or Gemzar or Taxotere - oh my! There is a certain poetry to chemotherapy drug names.

I am in great spirits though. The clouds and fear have lifted - I have not been plagued by them for several weeks. I asked God for a miracle. I don't know if I will get it or not, but the simple action of asking seemed to lift the paralyzing fear from me.

I just wanted to give you all a short update (that really was not so short). I'll let you know when I know, if the needle biopsy will continue as scheduled or not!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they are putting you in twilight for the needle biopsy. I something similar, MRI guided breast biopsy. I had to be in a really strange position and they didn't give me any twilight, it kind of hurt.

I'm glad you are in good spirits. It is the best way to be.

Anonymous said...

I love you!!!
JKE

Barge Lady Cruises Travel Blog said...

HEY - have you read the Secret?
It sounds as though you are doing something to lift your spirits, glad to hear things have lifted...this book may also help.
I am in the middle of it now and noticed that DJ has it on his background on myspace. Have a great Easter, hope to see you soonest! A

koneill1976 said...

now i wonder if chemo does something with your liver. mine has something wierd on it too, but they are going to watch it. I need to go invest in scarfs, being out in the real world baseball caps just are not going to cut it if I dress up. I guess I could start a new trend. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nat..

I have been reading your blog..thanks for being so strong..I thought i could do this myself,but found out i couldn't.. I have joined a support group,and pray alot..Your Dad gave me your site..I was diognosed last fall w/breast cancer..I have had every possible test imaginable, as you well know. I have made it through surgery, chemo, and i am still going through radiation. (35 treatments) I pray you will recover quickly. Thanks for listening..
Judi