Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Anticlimactic!

The doctors visit went fine yesterday. And yes - I did recieve the first vaccine! It was just a small injection, beneath the skin creating a 'bubble'. Here is a rather unflattering picture of me getting the shot:



The remaining ones will be given in my upper arm.

I guess I misunderstood part of the trial. I will get one actual chemotherapy session on Monday - with cyclophosphamide. It is supposed to help to 'boost' my immune system. Then next Thursday I will get the vaccine again, but it will be mixed with Bacillus of Calmette and Guérin (BCG) (I think that is to trigger my immune system too). I will get six more vaccines with the BCG, given weekly, and then a booster shot at six months. My skin reaction to the vaccine will be the indicator as to whether it is working or not.

It was anticlimactic to get this small shot as a treatment, after all of the surgery, chemotherapy, and other stuff I've been through. It seems almost too simple to be effective! :)

Thanks to all for your continued support and uplifting comments!

8 comments:

Joellyn said...

You look beautiful in this "action shot" (no pun intended)! Your haircut is darling and I'm so happy that this day has now arrived for you. I'm really hoping that this will do exactly what they are hoping it will!

Me said...

Just letting you know that I thought about you on the 20th. Glad you were able to get the shot and can't wait to hear the results! Sending you hugs.

test said...

oo - you do what I do when I am getting a shot - the other hand is in a fist, and the face looks rather concerned! It's a great photo, as it's the beginning of a positive action.

Yay! On the way now, so happy for you.
x

RB in Texas said...

Hi Nat: I'm new to your blog, but I plan to follow it. You are making history going on the trials!

The best of luck and thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi there - nice to meet you! :)

I'm pretty sure my doc wouldn't mis-code it for me to get the scan - but I'm pretty sure they're going to nag the mess out of someone until they give up and approve one for me. LOL

Thanks for stopping by - and for commenting! I'll go check out your place, now.

Tracey said...

Wooooooooooo you watch the needle going in!! Very brave lady, i look the other way and hold my breath hehe.

go girl, your on your way.. i'm with you all the way xx

Kia Taylor said...

I love the pic, especially because of what it symbolizes...

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie - I hope all goes well since you received the shot, that there won't be a skin reaction to the vaccine. So, how did the chemotherapy session go on Monday? Good, I hope.
6 more vaccines..........yes, you have been through so much, that's for sure.
Take care, God bless.