Wednesday, November 25, 2009

thanksgiving

I was not expecting the news I got today. Not at all. I hadn't prepared myself for it, and was not ready for it. I've had nearly 2 1/2 years of not such great news in regards to scans. I was prepared for more not such great news (well - as prepared as one can be for that!)

I've had three treatments of Avastin (four now - counting the treatment I got yesterday). The scan results showed TUMOR SHRINKAGE! There was no new growth, and the tumors that are there showed shrinkage, some nearly 1/2 in size from the last scan! My CA125 has dropped to 16 as well, which is the lowest it has ever been. I'm always happy to hear "no new growth", but with tumors shrinking too? That is too often unheard of in ovarian cancer patients!

As you can tell, I am a little at a loss to process this information. Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely thrilled with the news! Once again, I am so thankful that I was led to my current Doctor and treatment team. I do feel cared for there, and cannot sing high enough praises for the people at Cancer Treatment Centers of America.

I can just relax now in regards to my current treatment. I know it is helping. It may not be an absolute cure, but it gives me time.

The only side effects have been headaches (dull, pounding headaches - not too strong), and an increase in blood pressure. My blood pressure is not high enough to cause concern, but if it gets higher, I will have to take blood pressure medication. That is simply a side effect of the Avastin, and not something permanent. I also have more headaches (probably due to the blood pressure). But overall I feel great, and have no debilitating side effects.

I guess I'm still a little stunned by the news :) I'm sorry for the hastily thrown together post, that I hope makes a little sense!

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the States!

9 comments:

l'optimiste said...

It makes plenty of sense and was the best news I had today! I was jumping about all day, so chuffed for you! It's the best news. I am a bit at a loss too, because how do you explain being this pleased?? You can't and I can't - bet FH is over the moon.

It's just BRILLIANT! yay! :o) Have a lovely thanksgiving - bet ya will
x

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just found your blog. Seems like good news for you. I live in chicago and my partner was recently diagnosed with primary peritoneal cancer. If you have a second and you do live in chicago, I would love to chat more because that is where she had surgery and is/was treated.
My name is amy and my email is amysandler at gmail dot com.
Keep up the good fight. You are doin' it!
amy

Maggie said...

Nat,
I am so happy to hear your news!!! Shrinkage!!!!! This is fantastic, and I know what you mean about not knowing how to process, after all the bad, can you really hold on to the the good? Yes, you can. Enjoy the feeling and hold it close. I think about you all the time and I hope you continue to ride this one, you never know, you never know....

samantha said...

I AM JUMPING FOR JOY!!!

tegan said...

Yay! That's awesome news, I'm soo happy for you! x

Kia Taylor said...

Wonderful news Nat! So happy things are moving in the right direction!!

Jamie said...

Nat, that is the best news!!! I am so happy for you!! This gives SUCH hope to women with OC. I am so excited to see that the experimental treatment and new drug is working so well! stay strong, you can beat this thing!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Well, I hadn't visited the blog since around my birthday, and I see the last post was a v=VERY positive one, made over a month ago.

In this instance, I'm assuming no news is GOOD news!

Happy New Year, m'dear...

Hugs,

Chrispy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.